Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Daughter v's Mother

So you think overweight, almost 30 year olds can't do handstands??? Well guess again!! YES, that's right, my almost 7 year old daughter said to me today, "Mum, can you do handstands?" I let out a sarcastic laugh and said, I used to when I was your age, but I think I would break something now if I tried. She then said, well why don't you try. You always tell me to give it a go. Which is true. i always tell the kids to give it a go before they say they can't do something. So here I was, shaking in my whatever it was I was shaking in, and I did it, a handstand. Something I haven't done in over 10 years!! And gee I still had my knack!! It took me a couple of goes to get to a walking handstand, but I got there!! hahahaha. Must have been an absolute good laugh if anyone was watching!! But I can tell you that I am going to absolutely feel it tomorrow. And yes, I did do stretches and warm up. I am still as limber as I used to be. Can still do the splits as I discovered today, but that's another sore spot I'll feel tomorrow as well!!

But it just goes to show, that your confidence gets a huge boost when you have lost a huge amount of weight. Even though i still have another 25 - 30 kilo's to go, the 22 i have already lost has made me feel unbelievable!! I am doing things I haven't done since I was an energetic teenager. I am starting to feel really good about myself and I CAN start to see the difference when I look at myself in the mirror. even though sometimes I still see the 130 kilo me, I can see the difference when i look hard enough.

It's also amazing at how different people treat you. even though I am still overweight, people treat me differently. I guess because they see me different and can see a new personality coming out in me. But it does make you wonder why society snubs overweight people. We are no different from the thin people in the world. We are just bigger. We still have the same blood and same heart, but after losing weight, we are just a smaller person. I guess unless you have been an overweight person, you don't really know how much you are judged and how society treats you differently. It's wrong, but that's just the way it is.

I am starting to love the new me. I am still very cautious and nervous as being overweight for 10 years is a long time, but the new me is starting to show!!

No comments: