Sunday, March 11, 2007

10 Sleeps to Go!!

I've been doing some research on the Internet for the last week, finding as much information as I can about the the Lapband and fellow "bandits". I cam across a great article in the yahoo message boards, called 'Rules of the Road, What you need to know about living with the band" by Robin McCoy. One thing that will be hard to adapt to will be not drinking at meal times. I'm supposed to drink my last drink 30 minutes before a meal and then nothing to drink for at least an hour after a meal. Even water!! For as long as I can remember, I have always enjoyed a beverage at mealtime or just prior. So this will take some getting used to. The main reason that we're not supposed to drink during our meal, is because liquids wash the food through the band which defeats the purpose.

I'm really putting into practise the smaller bites, more chewing and slower eating concept!! I must look really funny and weird to other people. I even had a giggle at dinner time today with my mother in law about the chewing thing!!

I am trying to wind my business down at the moment and finish everything off this week before the big day on Wednesday next week. I have quite a bit of work to finish off, so I'll be quite busy this week. Wednesday is pretty much a write off as we have organise a suppliers lunch. So I'll be carefully picking something very low fat off the menu. Chicken or fish and salad I think!! I'll just make lunch my main meal and have Optifast for dinner. So it will all work out.

I did quite a bit of walking around in Freo today, so I definitely did my 30 minutes of exercise. I just had my DD and DS3 with me today. DS1 was playing hockey this morning at the stadium with his uncle. I also finished the washing today which was another load the filled the washing line up.

Before I sign out tonight, I want to put in this quote that Robin McCoy says at the end of her article.

"Surgery is not the magic pill we have all been waiting for. You will not wake up thin. You must be willing to meet the band half way. You will lose weight at a different pace than your friends.

You must change your behaviour for this to work. It is a tool—and nothing more. An electric mixer is easier than mixing by hand but you still have to follow the recipe for the cake to taste good.
Right now you should be asking yourself one question—“Am I ready to go the distance?”

It can be a joyful journey with the highest of highs. Moments that are so thrilling and uplifting that you don’t think you will ever come down. It is also a frightening journey as we venture into unfamiliar territory of who we are and where we are going. You are not going down this path alone. There are many Bandsters ahead of you on this path that are ready to help you along the way and take you with them to the next level.

So I ask, “Are you ready to go the distance?”

1 comment:

LapBandGirl said...

Hi Heidi,

I had to laugh about the chewing thing. I sometimes forget to chew chew chew (which is really easy to forget!!) and I get worried after I swallow cos I wait for the "stuck" feeling, hasn't happened yet!

Also, yeah.. I had a massive problem with not drinking with a meal. It will be really hard, but my doctor said that drinking up to the meal is OK, just not afterwards!!!

Take care babes! :)

Erika xx