Thursday, March 22, 2007

I'm Now a Bandit!!!

The next thing I new I was in recover, waking up and coming around and I had a tube in my throat and the nurse was trying to get it out. It was an unpleasant feeling that's for sure. I was in a bit of pain when i cam round and she kept asking me on a scale of 1 - 10 my pain level. I remember saying about an 8 the first time and the she asked me a couple of minutes later and I said a 6, so she gave me more pain meds. Then it had come down to about a 3. I was dozing on and off and I couldn't really remember much else that was going on. I don't even remember getting wheeled back to the ward. I do remember that my mum and dad were there when I got back and it was nice to have them there. I remember mum saying they had been waiting for about an hour, but they helped themselves to coffee and cake in the parents room. I know they didn't stay for too long. I can't even remember what was said. I was so out of it and really tired a groggy.

I was dozing on and off all evening. Luke bought the kids in about 7.30pm on his way home so the kids could say goodnight to me. I remember caressing the kids on their faces as I couldn't lean over to give them a kiss. Xander was giving me strange looks as I had the oxygen mask on and a drip in my left arm. So he wasn't sure what to think. I remember the kids saying they had done their homework in the car and that they had dinner at Grandma's. I really can;t remember anything else that went on or what was said. I was still so out of it. My mouth was all dry and my throat was croaky as.

I didn't sleep much at all over the night. I had a fellow bandit that was done just after me in the next bed. I remember saying hello to her and asking her how she was feeling during the night. I had a terrible time trying to sleep. I had a few 20 - 30 minute dozes. I needed to get up and walk around as i could feel the wind building up inside. It felt really good once I was up and about. I did a few bog laps around the ward, had a chat to the night nurses that were on. I even had some jelly at 3am in the morning!! I felt quite good after eating that. It got the horrible taste out of my mouth!! I went back to bed a few times and had a few more dozes. I just couldn't get comfy. Even though I had taken my contour pillow with me, all I wanted to do was lay on my side, but I wasn't game enough to!! After about an hour of tossing and turning I decided to try and lay on my left side. It actually wasn't that bad. I had another doze and then wok up again to the nurse taking my blood pressure and oxygen levels. I asked her if i could take my drip out at 4am and she did. That helped a bit. I then did a couple of more laps around the ward and then went to the loo. Going to the toilet wasn't that bad. I had to have the tap running as I think I was too relaxed!! But I got it out in the end!! After that I made myself a Peppermint Tea. I only had a couple of sips as I really didn't feel like any more. I thought i was going to explode if I did!! So I tried again to go back to sleep. I dozed for another 45 minutes. By this time it was 6.30am and i was so tired.

At 7am I gave Luke a call. They were all still in bed. I thought they would have been up by now. Oh well!! I had another doze in the meantime while I waited for Luke and Xander to arrive after dropping the kids off. Breakfast turned up at about 8.15am. Yummy Chicken Broth, Jelly and apple juice. I think i had about 5 - 6 tablespoons of the broth and about 4 - 4 of the Jelly and I was full. I had my apple juice a little while after that. At 8.45, Luke and Xander had arrived and Xander finished off my orange Jelly. I was still feeling tired, nauseous and incoherent. Luke took Xander to the play room and i asked the nurse when i could go home. She phoned Dr Watson and asked as he wouldn't be on the ward until after 1.00pm. he said it was fine for me to go. WOO HOO!!! I was out of there. I had to have a couple of my tummy dressings replaced as a couple had oozed a little. I was actually surprised that I wasn't as sore as what i thought I would be. My movement was really good and i was walking normally without any soreness at all. The nurse came back after doing my dressing with all my medications and the most important thing, pain killers!! So I gathered all my stuff and said good bye to my fellow bandit in the other bed. I gave her my copy of 'The Rules of the Road" She appreciated this. I wrote my phone numbers and email on it so we could get together and chat about our experience and how we were both going.

So now here I am, at home, still feeling sore and sorry for myself. I am feeling a little wishy washy in my stomach and my mouth is dry as. It hurts to take in really deep breaths. I am also itchy all over, which i think is from the Tramadol (pain meds). I have 6 dressings on me. I have tried to feel around for my port, but am not game enough to press hard, so I haven't found it yet. I have some beef broth for dinner and I'll have some apple juice. Sounds oh soo exciting!!!
So lets hope I get a good nights sleep tonight!!!

i want to thank everyone for their well wishes in emails, sms's and Erika who is reading my blog!! It's so great to have support and encouragement from other people. My family has been wonderful and so have all those other people that I haven't even met!! So thank you to you all!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Hi Heidi,

I hope you dont mind but i have been reading your blog, i was particularly interested in the last few as i am about 3 weeks from my surgery. I have to say hearing how well you bounced back is good news. good luck for the future
nicole

Heidi (prindy) said...

Hi Nicole,

Yes i am very suprised at how well i am doing. I am sore, but I thought I wouldn't be out of bed or up and around for a while. I spent most of evening after my op walking around. It's the best thing. good Luck with your upcoming surgery :)) Hides